13 May 2008

Zombie

Traveling seems glamourous...everyone hopes beyond all possible hope to get a job that would afford them some travel. I wanted this....I still do, but I'm currently wishing that my first international working experience wasn't 4 weeks long and wasn't traveling around the only country in the world I've ever felt an innate connection to.

The first two weeks were incredible. I met more people than I could have hoped for. I was lucky enough to meet people just like me from 22 countries around the world and even more lucky to connect with them on a deeper level than just "colleague".

Upon arrival to BrisVegas I met even more people with whom I made a beautiful connection....I'm talking about spiritual, emotional, mental connections with people that I've never met in my life, with people that live on the complete opposite side of the world or whom just so happened to be on the same side of the world as me at the same time...how well can you know someone after just one day??


Now I'm in Melbourne and I'm alone and continuing to meet people but instead of feeling connections with people I'm feeling an extreme connection with Melbourne itself. I feel like I've been here before, like I know it...like I belong here.

I don't want to sleep, I don't want to eat, I don't want to do anything that'll take away from my time with this place....and now my travels have taken a toll on my body.

I feel like my wits are being tested.
I'm tired, I'm weak. I feel like a zombie.

I'm pushing on, though. I'm championing for my agency, my body, my sanity. I feel amazing in my exhaustion and I can't help but smile when I see people driving on the wrong (when I say wrong, I mean other) side of the road...when I read a sign that says "Dob in a hoon", when I take the train by myself and get lost and have to ask little kids to help me get to "the city".

Tune in next time for AUCKLAND, New Zealand and soon a real summary of my impressions of each city...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley, I am so glad that you love Australia. In the 50s I almost went there, but I joined the Navy instead. I wanted to travel. At the tail end of my enlistment I was thinking seriously of joining the French Foreign Legion. I joined a motorcycle club too. And while I was waiting for a response from the Legion, but then I met your Grammie, and my life changed again. If you feel a connection, follow it. I did, and it has served me well. I will have to live forever so I can follow all my interests. Love, Grampa

shortnbitter said...

IM DRUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's aweosme about the people youve met; I'm so envrious you get to see the world and get PAID