15 June 2007

Please, don't mistake Mexican hospitality for politeness

The Mexican culture has a not so misplaced infamy of hospitality. I've had more than my fair share of unrequited hospitable gestures; it's something entirely foreign and slightly unnerving to a person coming from an isolationist culture such as that of us Americans. But once one lets down their guard and seizes to fear the worst -- rapist, kidnapper, robber, serial killer, etc -- the motion is actually seen for what it truly is meant to be.....a favor in exchange for a future favor, or cash.

But don't mistake these hospitable gestures for politeness; while a Mexican will offer you his house, pay for your dinner, or give you even the clothes off his back (actually, I was given a bracelet just because I said I liked it and I offended the girl who gave it to me when I tried to refuse it....also, at a restaurant I complimented the hostess on her necklace and she responded not with the usual "thank you" but with "muy a sus ordenes" -- at your orders, AKA, whenever you want to borrow it, it's yours), their culture can seem to lack a bit in etiquette.

Mexicans answer their phones in movie theaters -- they don't even turn off the ringer
Mexicans honk, cut people off, and nearly run pedestrians over any chance they get
Mexicans will clap loudly and constantly if the play, concert or movie doesn't start on time
Mexicans will whistle the tune "shave and a haircut" to people who make them mad because it means "chinga tu madre"

These traits don't express naquese or rudeness here in Mexico, they are an everyday, common as peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (in the US) occurrence that has manifested itself into a cultural characteristic.....a spiky, gritty, hard-to-swallow characteristic, as far as this California girl is concerned.

15 comments:

Stephanie said...

i wouldnt fit in at all there. however i am still half planning on mazatlan for a week if you are interested.

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Well your article helped me terribly much in my college assignment. Hats afar to you post, intention look audacious for the duration of more interrelated articles soon as its sole of my pick subject-matter to read.

Anonymous said...

I'm mexican american & i went in a american high school & then a mexican "preparatoria" and in my high school a lot of people call me beaner, alien, wet back etc.. & in mexico the people is so nice & friendly they don't mess if u are foreigner, the just call me gringo as a joke.

Anonymous said...

What the fuck you racist whore
mexicans are not at all like that.
I hope they shit in your food next time you go to mexico. Bitch!

Anonymous said...

haha i hope your daughter marries a mexican

Anonymous said...

I am obtaining able to try this espresso bean
extract and i'm twenty five lbs overweight and i will report back again

Feel free to surf to my homepage: insane home fat loss workout reviews

Anonymous said...

I enjoy my large crock pot, but with two sons gone to school it
has been an adjustment! So I bought a smaller one particular for that downsized family, with a lot much better results.

Also, if a month at a time appears crazy, try performing meals
a week in a time. One particular evening or afternoon of prep, as well as the entire week is
easier, and much more time efficient!

Take a look at my web-site - metabolic cooking recipes pdf

Anonymous said...

What about the way you feel your mind cells have disappeared?
Forgetting every thing even when your memory expertise have often been the things of legend?
Becoming aware of every thing that goes into your mouth?
And naturally, how that 1st cry makes it aaaaaall well
worth it; the discomfort, the soreness, the
extended labour hours and/or the C-section...
Ojh, and most significantly: for the first time you completely realize that the infant is just not a a part of the body, but
a totally various small particular person increasing within you.


Also visit my website shawna lenee

Anonymous said...

yea id suggest starting strength along with the
gallon of milk a day protocol.

My site precision nutrition lean eating habits

Anonymous said...

What the...
so racist
offensive
dont put stuff like that......
im just a ten year old kid

Anonymous said...

im still the ten year old kid
im researching mexico
i think they're amazing
get out of here!

Anonymous said...

you are very stupid because mexicans are more than you think so shush you mouth for once and think!!!

Anonymous said...

rasist your so mean you prabably voting for Donald Trump (you are stupid so is Donald Trump)

Unknown said...

Say anything negative about Mexicans and get reprimanded. Hence the comment section.